Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Also-Rans

Prometheus' hilarious take on all things e e cummings reminded me of the good old days when I considered myself worthy to be another of the 'scheming the rhyme with Roget' poet.

My early retirement from poetry came in the form of a certificate of recognition for the silliest among my wonderful works of art which got shortlisted among 4 other entries for a Poetry.com competition.

The excitement lasted only till I found out that a poem by a friend of mine which made Backstreet Boys' 'Show me the meaning of being lonely' look like a classic, also made the cut.

Here are my famous last words in Poetry.

4 Comments:

Blogger flamin said...

Oh Good Lord. LOL!

Poetry.com selects every damn entry sent to them. I only realized this after EVERY poem I sent to them was selected for some anthology or other form of 'exclusive' publishing.

I think the commercial aspect of your job has eaten into the sensitivity of the poet inside you. This poem is a promise of a sort; a promise to have the rose thrown on your face, indeed. LOL :))

All you need to do is to dress in black or white, get drunk, be suicidal and see spirits; that's what Woolf and Dickinson are made of. All brilliant writers were crazy.

10:47 pm  
Blogger Woke said...

True. I wonder if you had a look at Prometheus poem. That sums it up! :D

2:08 pm  
Blogger Prometheus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:55 pm  
Blogger Prometheus said...

Prometheus has more uncalled for unqualified advice on his blog. He thanks thee for the inspiration.

So arise and write, you fine bloke
'Tis time the poet in you re-aWoke!

Prometheus Looney Stevenson

8:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home