Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Do Buy! - A fresh insight

The contradicting emotions or the detachment you feel about Dubai, no matter which part of the world you are from, is almost impossible to express. Which is what makes Omair Barkatullah, a recently graduated documentary film maker based in UK, stand out from the typical 'dish-dash shake hands with a grey suit' films made my well-established film studios.

'Do Buy!' is an independent film made by Omair with a Canon XM2 miniDV camera which captures the true essence of Dubai and how people relate to it. Rather than being openly negative or brazenly appreciative about the city's new found metropolitan status, the film offers a fresh insight into what the city represents and leaves the rest to the viewer.

The film uses real people and some very interesting sound clips from an FM radio station to make a point. Listen to the Pakistani security guard who talks more sense than Dubai Holding's PR manager.

Part1:


Part2:


Part3:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jassim said...

Got to give it to the guy ...
brought an eeries sense of dejavu ...

2:03 pm  
Blogger nativeinformant said...

thanks! what a great find. Just wondering why he didn't think women had anything interesting to say about living in Dubai...

3:11 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

Brilliant.

I love the MOE security guard - he's on the button.

I love the shots - the guy has a great eye for what is a good image.

6:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the comments guys
it's Omair here, the filmmaker,
thanks for posting me on your blog...
spread the word...

there are no women in the film...? good observation... the guys in the film are single and exist in mainly male only environments, labour camps or shared flats. Some may have wives but only back home in India or Bangladesh, so I like that fact that it is just about these men in a kindof lonely male world (and the mall security guard mentions his ideal wife... and talks about money, which is telling I think.

There are no Fillipinos in the film..! If I was trying to represent everyone then I'm haven't done very well... why did no one pick that up? Maybe i'll make another film on them.

5:50 am  
Blogger Woke said...

Thanks for dropping in, Omair.

Hopefully we will get to see more inspiring filmsfrom you. :)

9:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Omair,

Good work. Excellent sense of framing.
My name is Dhruv Dhawan - I am an anthropologist and documentary filmmaker living in Dubai. My last feature premiered at Tribeca and has been sold worldwide. I have something interesting to discuss with you. please go to my site www.film-real.com to learn about my work or run a google search on my name. Please send me an email with your contact details. My email address is on the site.

1:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home